My husband, Matt, and I just returned from a trip to California to celebrate our 5 year anniversary and I decided to put together a living room design board inspired by our trip. I've loved this kind of chic, relaxed-but-sophisticated west coast vibe for awhile now and this room is a nod to that.
*sources for all items shown at bottom of post
Breaking it Down:
- This custom, mid century inspired sofa is a truly versatile piece that could be used with many different looks and styles. When investing in a larger piece of furniture, it's important to consider whether it will still work if you decide to change up the the colors and accessories down the road.
- I really love how the woven blue plaid rug has a strong geometric pattern to match the clean lines of the rest of the design and how and the texture and color variations provide warmth and depth. The more casual feel of the this rug, along with the leather poufs used as additional seating, create a cozy, easy-to-live-in atmosphere.
- The interwoven walnut legs of the coffee table carry mid century sensibilities and the round glass top keeps the piece light and modern. The round top also echoes the form of the rattan chair and wall mirror creating balance and juxtaposition with the linear elements.
- It's no secret that rattan is seeing a comeback and this swivel lounge chair is a handsome and unique take on the style. With a shape reminiscent of 70's furniture, the organic flow of the rattan, a polished chrome base, and a perfectly sophisticated black seat cushion, this piece is on trend without being predictable.
- Accessories really can make or break a room! It's important that they feel at home in a space without getting all matchy-matchy. Artwork and decor should feel collected even if you ordered it all online the same day. I've carefully selected a few pieces that gently reinforce an overarching color palette, bring warmth and "story" to the room, and highlight a range of mediums and tones.
- This light fixture is a new favorite and I can't say enough good things about the scale and proportion. It is available in various stem lengths so be sure to consider your ceiling height when selecting the overall height.
Where to Use This Style:
I also wanted to show the versatility of the collection so I rounded up images a few different types of interiors (picture the room itself, not the current furnishings) that each serve as a gorgeous backdrop for this look. Placed in a modern, rustic, traditional or eclectic setting, these pieces meld into the perfect blend of classic and interesting; I think they would look stunning in any of these four spaces.
Shop This Look:
Design Board Sources: Hyland Mid Century Sofa | Blue Plaid Rug | Walnut and Glass Coffee Table | Rattan Swivel Lounge Chair | Mid Century Modern Wooden Sculpture | African Basket | Vintage Watercolor Seascape | Black and White Sailing Photo | Beach Print | Waldorf Suspension Lamp | Round Stockholm Mirror | Potted Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree | Leather Pouf | African Mudcloth Pillow Cover - Black | African Mudcloth Pillow Cover - Indigo | Black and White Antigua Pillow